helplinedonate
Debsten

How do you get through the Anxiety and Depression

Hi,

I'm 41 and diagnosed in December.  I am really struggling with anxiety and depression.  Just when I feel I am making head way, boom it is back with a vengeance and I am losing hope of feeling the joy again.  I am on sinemet 3 times a day and gapapentin for neuropathy and celexa for the anxiety depression.  I feel so helpless and alone right now.  I never had the anxiety or depression before the thought of Parkinson's came along, then it hit me hard but I started to work through it.  I'm seeing a psychiatrist and psychologist and in my mind I know all the answers but I can't connect them to my feelings.  I have a wonderful supportive family and lots of friends so feel I have no reason to feel this way, but just can't get past it.  I feel a lot better at night times but the mornings and day get really hard a lot of the time.  I am exercising every day and trying to think positive but is like my mind has been taken over.  I was always the positive bubbly one so this is squashing my spirit.  Any tips on how you all got through the anxiety and depression?

Thanks so much

Debbie 

Wish I had some words of wisdom for you.  But my experience has not included depression (that I know of).  And anxiety mostly has been discreet episodes with identifiable triggers.

I will say that anxiety has been far less of a problem if I keep up on my levodopa doses.  Comparing the before/after when my MDS upped my meds from 3 to 4 times a day my anxiety level dropped noticably with the extra meds.  This last week I could feel anxiety creeping up but that was more my clue to not engage in the activity (tree falling - hence my handle) that is my main trigger for a little while.

You are doing all the right things. Keep a journal to see what may be triggers for you and if your are comfortable with them...share it with your doctors especially your psychologist. I had to try a few different meds before I got the right combination that works for me. My psychologist also taught me breathing techniques to help me. I have green stickers all over my house to remind me to breathe. 

You will get there. 

LAD

Edited by LAD

The breathing does help.  I just hate the going to sleep feeling good and waking up in mad panic and feeling of doom and gloom.  My MDS suggested taking extra sinemet before bed but that made me not sleep even more and didn't seem to make a difference.  I think I may just need to find more to occupy my mind, I have gone from working, being busy go go go, to a lot of time on my hands and every focus on drs, therapist appointments etc.  I guess I have to keep working with the meds and try to find the new normal.

I do keep a journal, but haven't found anything that stands out.  I'll keep at it.  My husband is a pilot and I have no family near by, he has been around or I've had family here visiting.  He is getting ready to be back on the road again in May so I think that plays on my mind.   I think I'm anxious about being depressed and depressed about being anxious :-(.  All my life I've been the positive, happy go lucky so I think I'm just struggling to understand these emotions.

Edited by Debsten

Try to realize that you're not the only one that is sick.  How many people do you know that have a serious disease?  I know a woman who lost her leg below the knee to diabetes.  I know another that lost all the toes on his foot.  I had a tenant that went to the doctor thinking that she had aches and pains, and was diagnosed with terminal cancer.  She died a couple of months later.  A guy at our Church got pancreatic cancer and died soon thereafter.  A huge number of people are living with things more serious that PD.  Being diagnosed with terminal cancer is something to be depressed about.  PD, not so much!

While I appreciate Patriot's sentiment, I think there is a factor of this disease that causes anxiety and depression independent of our emotional reaction to the diagnosis and the effects of the disease on our daily life.  

I never in my life had any issue with anxiety before PD came along.  Things that I could do before that, while stressful and physically tiring, didn't result in any anxiety now do.

So associating issues with anxiety and depression only with our outlook on having PD is probably not accurate for at least some of us.  I know that is the case for me at least.  Not sure if that applies to the OP, but sounds like it might be a partial explanation.

• Like 1

Some people report depression and anxiety long before their dx.I my self went through my worst nervous setback 2 years before the physical signs showed.

My PD anxiety comes at night when I wake up early.The answer for me is a 1/2 25/100 .

One thing were you depressed before any of the meds especially celexa?

So sorry you were one of the few young onset.

Hi Debsten,  you should try and occupy your time with something that takes your mind off PD.This way,you will be able to manage your anxiety and depression well.First you have to accept the disease.This I struggled with at first,when I was newly diagnosed.And be strict with the timing of your medication,because the wearing off of medication anxiety symptoms could be very uncomfortable,at least for me,compared to the anxiety due to stress.

This is hard but if you could use your situation  to gain something very positive in life, a new identity, a new you, that you like more than the previous you. Make it a blessing in disguise whatever the situation is whether you truly have Parkinson’s or not. Something very positive in life that would not have happened had the diagnosis was not made.

Edited by waruna01
  • Thanks 1

Hello everyone,

I never intended for that line to be in bold strokes. I Guess i just entered the room with confidence. 

Debstan, my Motion Disorder Doctor asked me one time if I was depressed. I said sorta, I didn't like having PD. He replied that I shouldn't like it, it was ok to be sad about PD because it is a nasty disease.  He questioned if I was sad about other things and I answered no, just the Pd stuff. He declared me to be normal and not depressed.  He said that depressed was when you are sad about things that should make you happy. He told me to take my pd medicine, remain active, and don't waste your day thinking about what ifs.;  The truth is, as others have pointed out above, there are diseases that have worse outcomes. 

Good luck to you. Being Bubbly will make  your day a better one. And I bet there are people who are missing Bubbly Deb!

Fist to the sky, be tough Bubbles.

jb

ps, fist to the sky.  Wasn't that The Paper Bag Princess.  Where is she?

• Like 1