helplinedonate

My husband suffers from sweating whenever he gets chilled. Yesterday he had to change shirts 3 times. His skin gets clammy, and the odor is very strong. One neurologist prescribed amitryptiline 10 mg, and it solved the problem for two years. However, now it is worse. That neurologist retired so we can't ask him if we should increase the dose or if another medication might help? (He also takes Sinemet 25/100 4x a day.)

Maryjane,

Unfortunately this is quite common in PD patients. There are several medications available to help this situation.

The Amitriptyline you mentioned does help with excessive sweating. If it was effective in the past for him it may be worth a try to ask his new Doctor or Neurologist to prescribe it again, maybe at a higher dose.

Another group of medications that also work well are called anticholinergics. Of these, Benztropine and Robinul seem to be the most effective.

A class of medications known as antiadrenergic's have also been successful at controlling excessive sweating. In this class, Clonidine and Terazosin seem to be the most effective.

An extreme, but effective option is Botox injections. Unfortunately this is mainly used for excessive localized sweating, such as in the case of underarm sweating. 

Topical applications are also available for localized use.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

Ms. Marjane,  I am replying to your topic:  cold sweats.  My answer is not based on research or clinical studies.  It is simply my own experiences and observations.  It won't hurt to try, may even help.  I believe that the trigger of cold sweats is the difference between the skull and the chest temperature.  I think the body is trying to achieve homeostasis.  If I take a quick shower without washing my hair, dry off and get dressed, I have a bit of sweating.  It's not much and is acceptable.  If I take a longer hot shower, wash my hair, rinse in cold water, dry off and put on a thick terry clothe robe, oh, how I suffer with cold sweats.  Why bother to shower if I am going to sweat so much?  And I usually have cold sweats between 5 am and 7 am.  Makes me miserable. 

The thing these two events have in common are the temperature differences between the head and chest. I have not eliminated the problem, but I have drastically reduced its impact.  This is what helps me:  Shower in warm, not hot water.  Use same temp water for both body and hair - no cold rinses.  Dry off and put on light weight clothes while dry hair, applying make-up or shaving face if a man.  Take a ten minute break before dressing or doing activities.       For cold sweats while sleeping, wear a knit cap to keep skull warm because blanket keeps heat in so that body stays warm.  Wear socks and gloves if hands and feet get icy.  I like gloves without fingertips.  Experiment with room temperature.  73 degrees works well for me.  72 degrees induces cold sweats.  Play around with both water and air temps and see if a particular temperature gives your husband some relief.

I hope your husband finds some relief.

I really dislike the feeling of a cold sweat.

I’ve found that sleeping in a cotton t-shirt absorbs much of the sweating - not all. But if I wake up and my shirt is soaking wet, at least my wife doesn’t get drenched. And the sheets and covers stay pretty dry.  

Second, before I started taking C/L and sweated more frequently and heavily, I used to also sleep on top of a regular bath towel. Using both the T-shirt and the towel kept me pretty dry. 

Not a solution but a work around. I’m finding that most of my life with PD is finding workarounds.

-S

Marjane,

I'm glad we could help and if here is anything else you need please let me know.

Super,

Thanks for the information. It's always good to keep these life hacks for PD in the back of our heads to use when we need to.