helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Marketfocus

Triazolam for root canal

I have been prescribed triazolam .125 mg to take 1 hour prior to having a root canal.  The endodontist prescribed this so as to control my tremor during the procedure as well to induce relaxation, etc.  When I picked up the prescription, I am now very concerned when I read that the effects last 8 hours (for a 1.5 hour procedure) including dizziness and difficulty with coordination.  As I already have some difficulty walking, I'm concerned thIs may contribute to a significant fall risk over a period of many hours .  Is this medication commonly given for this purpose?  Are there other, better alternatives that would be shorter acting and still accomplish the required tremor control?  I am not particularly worried about this procedure and would prefer not to take anything if not for the tremor.  Thank you.

Market,

This class of medication is used quite often in dental procedures to help a patient anxiety for a procedure.  This Triazolam does have an onset of action of about 30-60 minutes, and the effects can last up to 8 hours but usually do not. It may be in your system for up to 8 hours, the effects can usually last 4 - 6 hours maximum with the effects diminishing over time. The side effects, which are usually minimal and limited to some drowsiness, will also diminish over time is the happen at all.

The dose you were prescribed is a very low dose, but will still be effective. The other medications used for this practice are usually Valium and Xanax. Both of which have a similar onset of action as Triazolom with the same side effects and duration of action.

I would make sure to take your PD medication about 30-60 minutes prior to your dental appointment, or the time before the appointment that it takers for the medication to work. I am sure that the dentist has prescribed this before and is versed in the anxiety relief. Many times with PD patients, as anxiety increases so do PD symptoms. That is why I suggest that you take your PD medication prior to the dental visit.

The dentist is also trying to be pro-active. If the medication is not taken prior to the procedure, there is a reason to believe it may be needed at some point during the procedure. This would mean that the Dentist would have to stop the procedure, allow you to take the medication, then have to wait for the medication to work, which could take 30-60 minutes. I believe in your situation the benefits much outweigh the risks. The only interaction may be excessive drowsiness, if your PD medication causes drowsiness also.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.