helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
Marketfocus

Medication timing

In terms of timing Sinemet doses, is it essential that they be taken the same times each day or is the interval between doses the key factor, even if it means meds are taken at somewhat different times each day?  I take my Sinemet doses 3.5 hours apart, but I generally start the clock running when I wake up, which is between 6 - 6:30 and 7:30 am, depending on the kind of night I've had.  So my medication schedule might be 6:00 am., 9:30, 1 pm, 4:30 pm and 8 pm one day and 7:30, 11, 2:30pm, 6  and 9:30 pm another day.  I set the timer when I get up and manage my meal times around my medication times each day.  I've started to wonder, however, if I might get a better response with more consistent times.  Thank you.

Market,

I recommend to start off as the Doctor prescribed, let's say three times a day. The dosing of this is usually 9:00am, 3:00pm, and 9:00pm, or 6 hours apart. Parkinson's is not that kind to follow that schedule.

The first dose in the morning can usually happen between 5:00am and 9:00am, the problem arises after that. If you keep a journal or really know you body, you will know when your off times are. Ultimately you would like to take the next dose about 30 minutes prior to your symptoms coming back.

With this in mind, a medication like regular Sinemet, not necessarily the CR, is dosed as symptom related. When the symptoms arise you should take the medication to combat the symptoms.

After a while that dosing regime will become more scheduled and the timing will become more consistent.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

That makes sense to adjust the timing/intervals according to off times throughout the day. How important is it to have a consistent starting time for the first dose in the morning?  Thank you.

Market,

The most important aspect of your morning dose is to try and take i before your symptoms arise. Some patients can get up and then take their medications while others may have to set an alarm, take their medication, the rest until the medication takes effect. I am of the later group.

I set my alarm for 5:00am to take my morning medications knowing that i usually start experiencing symptoms around 6:00am. I kept a journal of bedtime and waking times and correlated them with my morning off times. I found out that no mater how late I went to bed, my symptoms where still arriving at about 6:00am.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.