helplinedonate
Waywrd1

Ingredient Manufacturer of Carbidopa & Formulary Meds?

Mark,

Hope you are totally healed up!!

Is there a way to find out who makes the raw ingredient Carbidopa and levodopa for Mylan, versus Teva or Actavis Elizabeth?  The !(&%)# companies won't tell me...

I currently take 15mg carbidopa and 150mg of levodopa- 1/3 is compounded, and the rest is a commercial 10-100 from mylan.  I ask because the carbidopa and/or the levodopa used in my capsules are giving me some wicked side effects if I replace more than 1/3 of each dose with compounded versus commercial... This is making the switch to compounded for my MCAS impossible.  I'm stuck on stage 1- identify your triggers....

My compounder can buy ingredients from anyone, so it might as well be from the same companies we already know work better(Mylan) than anything else thus far. 

And, as a complete aside- the docs said I might try the branded sinemet.  Just to see what that does.  Other than that, they're out of ideas.

Thanks!

Waywrd1

Waywrd,

I am doing well, all healed up, and always on the go. Thanks for asking.

The source of the raw ingredients for each manufacturer is a well kept trade secret. What I have seen is that the fillers and pressure to form the tablet do play a role also, as we have already talked about.

I am glad to hear that you can have the medication compounded, but I am aware of the side effects of the higher dose. Are you able to get the higher strength Carbidopa/Levodopa by Mylan?

The idea of trying the brand name Sinemet was also one I had considered. As you know every patient is different, but you may have success with the brand name. Since brand name Sinemet has been around for so long now, it has been the gold standard with much research to back up it's success.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

FWIW, MYLAN makes MERCK sinemet.  i tried the brand name when i couldn't get TEVA -  TEVA doesn't make generic sinemet anymore, they also had bought ACTIVIS and sold the rights to both TEVA'S and ACTIVIS's  C/L  products to MAYNE, another generic company and i believe ACTIVIS makes the drug that MAYNE says replaced the TEVA drug.

Manufactured for: Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp., a subsidiary of MERCK & CO., INC., Whitehouse Station, NJ 08889, USA. Manufactured by: Mylan Pharmaceuticals , Inc., Morgantown, WV 26505, USA. Revised: July 2014

https://www.rxlist.com/sinemet-drug.htm#side_effects

the SINEMET bottle label states it is made by MYLAN.  MYLAN had lots of problems when they started making SINEMET,  many customers complained and i assume they fixed their problems.  so as far as i can tell, the original brand name SINEMET made by MERCK hasn't been available for years.

the brand name SINEMET looks exactly like the MYLAN C/L except isn't scored.  For me, it performed worse than the TEVA brand but that's a moot point since TEVA no longer makes C/L.

here's a paper describing the problems patients encountered in 2010-2011 as MERCK transitioned sinemet manufacturing to MYLAN.  MYLAN wasn't making exactly the same product that MERCK had been making.  caused worldwide suffering and drug shortages.  pd'ers are facing similar problems imho as smaller companies make generics.  that's the problem with generics, they don't have to be tested on pd'ers, all they do is give it to healthy volunteers and measure blood levels of the active ingredients. 

https://www.worldpdcoalition.org/page/GlobalReports?

select Lessons Learned from the 2011 Sinemet Shortage

if you like your generic, i'd certainly try to get at least an extra months supply to hold you over if there are supply chain interruptions which seem to occur more frequently as fewer and fewer companies make C/L. 

Soccertese,

From Whit I know, Merck is still the maker of brand name Sinemet. I contacted them and they did verify it.

There was a lawsuit brought by Merck against Mylan due to the belief that the patent rights for the Controlled Release formula that Mylan produced infringed on the brand name product that Merck produced. The brand name company has 7 years from the patent to produce the product and no generic form can be made within that time frame. By producing a genic version in that time frame it was believed that Mylan had broken the patent law.

The lawsuit was specifically aimed at the release mechanism that Mylan used. Merck said it was close, but not exact, to the mechanism they used and therefore could not be a generic. The suit was later thrown out and Mylan was allowed to produce the generic Controlled Release formula. 

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.