helplinedonate

Usually it is advised that you start sinemet when symptoms cause a diminished quality of life.  Personally, I would wait as long as possible and try other strategies for controlling symptoms (especially exercise).  Everyone is different so work with your doctor when choosing the best time to start.  Good luck, Gardener

• Like 2

I wouldn't take ANY medication until it is absolutely needed.  I waited 4 years before starting Sinemet and will fight hard to keep the dosage as low as possible.  I think doctors that routinely prescribe Sinemet to newly diagnosed PD patients are doing them a GREAT disservice.

• Like 1

Divi,

Everyone is different and everyone has different opinions based on their health histories. Some folks distrust big pharma and doctors and believe in natural/supplements such as Dopa Mucuna. Others take Sinemet and other PD medicines prescribed by their doctors, who might also suggest physical therapy and mechanical devices.  The goal is to treat symptoms and improve your quality of life for as long as possible. Your doctor is not going to force you to take Sinemet. The choice is yours.

Stiffness is not the only reason to begin treatment with Sinemet - other symptoms you might consider are tremor, dropping things, reduced arm swing, pain, insomnia, depression, freezing, etc. 

My opinion is - You should start exercising immediately - as part of your overall treatment plan -- but not as a replacement for medicine or for medical care - and not because of a desire to tough it out until symptoms are unbearable.

-S

Edited by Superdecooper

I began Sinemet immediately after diagnosis because my tremor went from a small tremor in my middle finger that you could barely see to a bothersome full hand tremor in just a few months. Also, it was physically exhausting trying to relax my muscles all of the time.