Are:

1. Black tarry stools

2. Dark yellow urine

3. Twitching of eyes

Common side effects of sinemet?

Thanks and regards

Divi 

Divi,

All of these are side effects of Sinemet. The twitching of the eyes can be directly related to twitching of the head and neck that are also associated with Sinemet. The dark urine and blackened stools are also side effects of Sinemet, but unfortunately the cause is unknown. Also, these side effects can be more pronounced with an increase in the amount of Sinemet that is taken. Less Sinemet, the less the side effects

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

• Like 1

Thank you, Mark. However, based on your earlier input, Sinemet’s dose is individualised. Would you consider 800 mg per day a high dose ?

Regards

Divi

Divi,

I'm sorry for any confusion. The dose is individualized and based on symptom relief, but there is an a dosing scale. 

Patients may experience these same side effects but to a lesser extent. The urine may be a lighter yellow than you are experiencing or the eye twitch might be a blink small blink issue.

As one increases the dose of a medication, these side effects may be more pronounced. The urine can be different shades of darkness and the twitch can progress into an issue of low eye movements with the possibility of dry eye.

I don't think that the Sinemet dose you are on is high by any means. A higher end dose could be considered around 1,500-2,000 mg, but that doesn't mean that doses cannot be higher than that.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.

• Like 1