helplinedonate
Sign in to follow this  
PixelPaul

Foot cramps

I'm having PD related issues with foot cramps an muscle tension. On my affected side, my right hamstring is always in a contracted state, and I get periodic toe cramping and curling throughout the day. When I try to exercise, within 10 minutes my foot cramps and spasms are so severe that I have to stop. Levodopa helps with my other symptoms, but seems to have no effect with the dystonia. I've learned about some available options with Botox and prescription medications, but also read that other things might be beneficial like Magnesium. Your thoughts?

Paul,

It can be difficult for us to tell the difference between dystonia and spasms when it comes to exercise. It can be a combination of both, but since yours occurs shortly after starting exercise a supplement may help.

The two main supplements that can help with cramping are potassium and magnesium. I recommend that everyone take at least a multivitamin every day but sometimes you may need to add extra supplements for specific issues.

In your case you could add potassium and magnesium. To supplement extra potassium to help with cramps it is as easy as eating a banana every morning or about an hour prior to working out. Studies have shown that this is one of the most effective way to increase your potassium levels.

As for the magnesium, the average daily multivitamin has about 100mg of magnesium in each tablet. If you find that this is not a sufficient amount to help with cramping then you can add magnesium tablets to your daily vitamin. The amount of magnesium you could take per day to help avoid cramping is around 400mg per day. You may want to take this with some food as it can be a little tough on the stomach.

It is also very important to make sure you drink plenty of water. This can truly help our whole body work better.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted.