helplinedonate

Hope all is well. I’m starting the pre testing for DBS. I’m 44 y/o male with PD for 4 years. I’m a little overwhelmed on which DBS system to pick.  Can you give me what most of your patients chose or what you would recommend. I was presenting all the DBS systems today and really still undecided. Do you prefer rechargeable or non? I like asking and reading your answers because your very direct  too the point. Thanks again for your dedication to all of us and your PD community 

We have written an article about this that is about to come out soon.  Basically it is best to have a full interdisciplinary workup.  Then the team should take about risks and benefits and plan approach (unilateral or bilateral) and whether to do it all in one surgery or stage it.  The final thing the team should do is review the FDA approval for the brain target selected and approach and then once all of the above is done choose the device that is best.  In general the rule is that all the devices work great if implanted in the right spot in the brain.  That is far and away the most important factor.  Some patients like the idea of recharging every few days and others would prefer a simple surgery every 3-5 years.