helplinedonate
Peace

bicycling

Do any of you ride a bicycle for exercise?  I've seen articles written on biking for PD and like most of you,  I've seen the video of the gentleman with PD ride a bike and his movement issues disappear while riding.  I've also seen all of the Davis Phinney bicyclers.  Not once have I heard of anyone having negative symptoms due to riding a bike so I'm just curious if anyone has had my experience.  Right after I get off of a bicycle I can't walk.  Well,  I can, but only with extreme concentration and very slow.  My legs just do not want to follow my brain's command to walk.  It's not what I thought "freezing" would be like but maybe that's what it is.  It doesn't happen when I use a stationary bike.  It's equally fascinating and irritating.  Anyone have this happen?  Does anyone know or would like to venture an explanation as to a cause?  I'd love an explanation about the neurological components involved in producing this reaction to bike riding.  Maybe it has something to do with simultaneously balancing and pedaling since it doesn't happen on a stationary bike.  Thanks for any thoughts on this and share any odd things that happen to you that you've never heard mentioned before.  

Sounds like what Ive experienced.  I bike a bit and have always noticed unsteadiness/trouble walking after getting off the bike.  In my case, I believe its a circulatory issue.  I have severe OH (get light headed from standing from lying down or seated.  If I'm light headed, I cant walk. 

Usually, if I have to get off my bike, I will either walk it, slowly, or stay standing in position until the dizziness goes away and my legs unfreeze. 

Edited by afroney

Hello Peace and afroney,

A little different than a bike but I can move pretty well in the pool at class.  But on dry land I need a cane.  My guess is walking on land requires many parts of the brain to keep stable.   Automatic shifting of weigh to balance, judging distance and terrain change, and stooped posture doesn't help.  I have been test and show slow thinking speed.  So maybe that applies to the automatic system as well.

Also at rock steady boxing I fall often because of dizziness being lite headed.  I really notice it when we do exercise in the prone position when done and stand up.    Tom   Have a great Sunday.    

I have been riding  bike for years i dont have any negative effects 

i dont know whether it is  delaying the PD which some studies suggest i jusr  feel better when i do it.

I do notice that i tend to be more off on a day i ride the bike. So if i remember to take a little extra sinemet before stsrting

Ditto with noah I take extra sinemet before harder exercise.   If I don't exercise I notice in a short time my flexibility is less.  Beats sitting in a chair.  I think typing and trying to compose and spell is good brain work too.  Have a nice one all.   Class at the pool 7am.

I bike at least 5 times a week - usually 6-8 miles each time.  I really enjoy it and, generally speaking, I feel the most "normal" while I'm biking.  I have noticed, though, that I'm a bit extra stiff and walk a bit extra stiffly for about 10 minutes directly after my bike ride.

19 hours ago, noah said:

I cant ride by myself so we went out and bought a bike made for 2

That can actually be the most beneficial way.  Research shows that if you ride on a tandem with someone who is a stronger pedaler, and makes you work a little harder than you would on your own, the benefits were increased.   Have the other person pedal at a rate just above your comfort zone.

Edited by Peace

I love cycling but when I felt unstable on my road bike, we tried a tandem bike and that worked well, but now we have recumbent trikes (by Cattrike) and riding is so enjoyable and safe. I do take a little extra sinemet before a long ride, but I have not had any dizziness at the end of a ride. I usually ride about 20-25 miles and feel great afterwards! I try to get out 2 - 3 times a week.

Twitch

For those who said they take a little extra levodopa, how much extra are you talking about? I am (was) an avid mountain biker and am trying to ride again. I am newly diagnosed and currently taking carbi-levo 25-100 mg and Florinef 0.1mg (2x/day) for low blood pressure. I have only 3 rides since my diagnosis but I feel good riding. 

Side note are any of you cyclist/MTBR's on Strava?

I used to be a long-distance bicyclist in my younger years, but had to give up bicycling due to toe-curling and leg drawing (dystonia). The meds don't seem to help much with that, so I am hoping that whenever I get DBS I can start riding again.

Kevin

• Like 1

It's always interesting how PD affects us all differently.  I get the toe curling when I walk but not when bicycling.  I hope you're able to get back on your bike soon.