helplinedonate
jb49

Good morning!!

Hi, Peace.  Thank you so much for your kind words. 

This is such a special thread, isn't it.  Like coming home, it is.  :-)  I so missed being in touch with everyone.

How are you doing?

Linda

Thanks, everyone. 

Love Peter Dunlop-Schols story.

Linda, glad they found this issue.   Odd things happen to our bodies, so I always remind friends Parkinson's is very gradual. Sudden changes and get checked out.

My wife kept ignoring bowel issues. To her a lady never discusses such things, so when her doctor noticed her abdomen and asked "do you have regular BM's" her response was "yes". Yet it was a ribbon 1" x 1/8" wide (hint, that isn't normal at all). Hence her ruptured colon, sepsis, three months in ICU. 2005, so amazed she survived that.   Everyone should google the Bristol Stool Chart and tell their doctor "number four on the Bristol chart, 2-inch diameter"  Or for me, Type 1 rabbit pellets!  It's a body function, doctors want to know details.   I realize TMI, but I love my family here and want them to be informed and honest with their doctor.

Spent a week on the road. Two days drive into Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Two days there, one spent at a football game (Roll Tide) and another walking around the campus.   Saturday I put in six miles walking in addition to watching the game. My biggest concern was my wife as she hasn't joined me for a walk in years. She is the football fan, so had extra energy to enjoy the game.

The drive there was in pouring rain, and despite breaking the drive into two days of a maximum of six hours, pouring rain and a pile-up on the freeway meant it turned into a ten-hour drive arriving after dark. Thankfully my wife was with me and the hotel was right off the interstate. I do not drive at night for a reason (visual processing is more difficult in low light, and add fatigue it isn't good).  Arrived at the hotel, but exhausted. Didn't go out for dinner, but a place delivered Mulfatta's, so it was a good dinner.  

First time attending a football game. In college, all the Engineering students would joke "We have a football team?" as Saturdays were spent doing homework. o even when I lived on campus I never attended a game. To suddenly be in a stadium with 100,000 loud screaming fans who like watching the whole game while standing was an experience. The home side is in the shade, find on those hot days but we have a cool 45F with wind and my tremors kicked in full time. Medication on time, eating on time, everything on a schedule like clockwork and I couldn't stop shaking.  Still had a great time, but by halftime people next to me were asking if I was OK or if they could get me a hot chocolate.   I would have loved a hot chocolate, but my bladder wouldn't have lasted one minute with any additional fluids in it as I wasn't able to walk down the stairs without assistance, least make it to the bathroom. So it was shake city and "I'm fine"

After the game, I was able to get my legs to move, but slowly walk and keep upright. We made a few stops, one in a local brewpub. Nice dark Stout. Then next stop for dinner (new place, thankfully no one knew was there, so we could get a table). After dinner made it back to the hotel, so the day was a success. I didn't do a faceplant and my wife was able to walk the full day.

Enjoyed a few more nice restaurants on Saturday. The old downtown historic district, so lots of little places. One looked good for lunch. Hostess said "follow me" so my wife was in front of me, and we proceeded up some narrow steep stairs to the upstairs loft area. Have I ever mentioned while I can go up a flight of stairs, I can not go down them? No elevator, only a dumb waiter in the back for food and dishes.  Yes, the bathroom was downstairs so I didn't drink as much water as I should have.  Nice lunch, enjoyed a wonderful Kolsch, and slowly holding both handrails got my size 14 feet to get down those 8" wide stairs back down. Challenge meet and accepted.

The best thing we can do when living with PD is just remember to go on living.  I hurt and somedays never want to get out of bed, but there is so much I still want to do and press on. Taking a week off from boxing and exercising make it clear how much worse my symptoms get after a few days. So I need to get moving and keep on moving.  

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Linda Garren said:

Hi, Peace.  Thank you so much for your kind words. 

This is such a special thread, isn't it.  Like coming home, it is.  :-)  I so missed being in touch with everyone.

How are you doing?

Linda

Yes, it is like coming home.  It's a safe place to land. 

7 hours ago, Peace said:

7 hours ago, Peace said:

Absolutely!

Ok, here is hoping that everyone in the USA has a happy Thanksgiving day and has something to be thankful for.  Everybody travel safely and enjoy the day with friends or family.  I'm wishing you all the best to you all.   Here in Canada its a chilly one and a record cold for this date.   -17 C, or 0 F on the old scale.   Im sitting by the woodstove thankful for my long thermal underwear.

be good, be safe. j

Good morning! I am grateful for all my Parky friends today and every day. May your day be filled with thankfulness, good food, and the love of family and friends, even if you are going to be dining alone.

Dianne 

I finally got back on here. I will change from green to something else.But just not here. I fell and so my body is hurting around the hip/knee  area. I was trying to be careful. I think I might have already told you all.

That's the way it goes sometime. Suppose to have rain storm and later change to snow. My DH thinks part of the hurt is because we are having this weather change. Could be. 

Right now the sun is out. 

Marcia

Good Morning everyone, hope all had a fine Thanksgiving.

A local church was having a 5K Turkey Trot run, so two more to join me in a fun run Thursday Morning. So three of us, Mike, Pam, our active with our Parkinson's Boxing class.  Mike had swallowed some lake water in August, which developed into a nasty lung infection. He was cleared to return the exercise a few weeks ago, so glad he made it.  A friend of Pam's got us all the smile at the same time, which was a nice feat.

Post running I could barely walk. Tremor city, but after a few minutes calmed down nicely

fNVf7kG.jpg

• Like 1

That is so awesome, Tom! Keep up the boxing. I've only been at it a couple of months. It's already helping my balance.

Dianne

hi Dianne, good boxing to you.!  Way to run Tom.   Maybe we could call you Tom Swift.

8 hours ago, TexasTom said:

Good Morning everyone, hope all had a fine Thanksgiving.

A local church was having a 5K Turkey Trot run, so two more to join me in a fun run Thursday Morning. So three of us, Mike, Pam, our active with our Parkinson's Boxing class.  Mike had swallowed some lake water in August, which developed into a nasty lung infection. He was cleared to return the exercise a few weeks ago, so glad he made it.  A friend of Pam's got us all the smile at the same time, which was a nice feat.

Post running I could barely walk. Tremor city, but after a few minutes calmed down nicely

fNVf7kG.jpg

Way to go! I exercise but I can’t run unless someone is chasing me!  HAHAHA 

LAD

• Like 1

Yesterday I planned on going perch fishing.The boat I use is large for one a 19 footer but very dependable.I've had the motors for almost 30 years and still run great.

The weather was good about 48 little wind so I stayed with the plan.It takes a lot of paying attention so you don't mess up like leaving a bait bucket home which I didn't.

I got there and another boat was coming in so I asked them if they were in a hurry Id wait till they got it.They said no problem and then gave me some pointers where to fish.We ended up catching some nice perch before dark and I plan on cooking them today.

Every year I say will this be my last trip?maybe knowing what might happen  is a good way to relish today.For me life with PD is not a big thing .I know Im better than I was seven years ago .

I don't know why except when Im involved with all the worthwhile activities,some how PD takes a vacation.

A far cry from hearing seven years ago we might have only a few good years ahead.

Cold front coming in today so Ill be back to duck hunting.

have a pleasant warm day,

• Like 1